Saturday 21 August 2010

Battery Use Update

I looked into battery use; I wasn't dissatisfied but thought I'd see how I could squeeze maximum time out of my battery.

I discovered SetCPU. What this does is allow you to over or underclock you phone’s processor. Overclocking isn’t something I’d recommend but underclocking seems safe in theory.

What it also allows you to do is set profiles.



The first profile is Screen off or sleep. Apparently the Nexus one will drop to 384Mhz (from 998Mhz) when the screen is off but this may peak higher if apps running in the background demand it. By setting SetCPU to use a maximum of 384Mhz and a minimum of 245Mhz you save at least 14% of your battery every time your phone goes to sleep!


The second profile relates to charging (there are 3 charging in general, charging AC, charging USB). This allows you to drop the Mhz when charging, which on the surface seems daft – why save power when attached to the mains? The reason is simple, the less power your phone takes out of the battery, the faster the phone will charge!

The final profile type relates to battery level you can start reducing battery use as you charge drops below, say, 50%. Then you can drop it further at 30% and cut it right back when you reach critical levels to maximise your uptime.

On top of this you can set your default Mhz range. I’ve dropped my max to 883Mhz, in theory saving 11% when my phone is working at full capacity.


I’ll see how all this pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment