Saturday 14 August 2010

RANTS

Time for the first in an irregular series of rants, there is no way to dress it up.

First up Google's App Inventor. Genius! This thing is brilliant. Simple yet powerful. So what's my beef with it? Application sizes! I created my 1st app, a "hello world" style thing. It has 1 button and displays an message. IT'S 3.6Mb IN SIZE!!!!!!

I use my phone a lot and have it rammed full of applications, I often have to delete something after installing a new toy just to get rid of the annoying "low on space" notification. I had visions of creating dozens of tiny apps to do little tasks I wanted but I can't afford the space.

I understand there is some interpretation going on it the code but would it not be better to install the interpreter once then make all the apps smaller?

Second Rant, and also space related, is games programmers. There are some great games out there now and many of them are visually rich. This takes space, lots of space. This isn't a problem as, since Froyo, I can install apps to my 16Gb SD card. Oh hang on... that relies on the programmer enabling the option to store the game on the SD card (which apparently is trivial to do). SO WHY DO SO FEW OF THEM DO IT?

I like games but I can't have more than a couple of the big fellas on my phone at the same time.

I just don't get it, more people will install your game if they can install it on the SD card. It's easy to do so why not do it?????

Blood pressure at max... my work here is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment